Pages

Saturday, August 11, 2012

First Hair Cut

Well, today was the day.  The day I knew was coming but kept trying to put off.  The day Carter received his first hair cut.  I've been coming up with excuses for weeks on why we should not cut his hair.  He's too tired to cut his hair.  He's too active now.  I'm too tired to cut it.  This is the hair he was born with.  We can't just cut it off.

His baby mullet had been forming over the last several months and although I didn't like it at first, I grew to become quite attached to it.  It was kinda blonde and when wet it was curly.  I'd play with his hair while he nursed, running my fingers through it and twisting it into perfect little curls.  And I figured, if there was any time in your life you could pull off a curly mullet, it's when you're 11 months old.

But it was starting to bother Chris.  Not the fact that he had long hair (ok yes, that bothered him too), but more the fact that folks were starting to mistake him for a girl.  When Carter was all tucked into my Boba carrier and no one could see his definitive boy clothes, they would sometimes call him a girl.  And, well, that just wasn't going to fly.  Not in this masculine household.  (sigh)  So it was time.  No more excuses.  It was time to cut his hair.

There it is.  One last look at the long hair.  It's so nice, isn't it?  I pulled out the scissors and brought in a ziploc bag - you know, to put the hair in.  And when I snipped off the first curl I almost cried.  And then I laughed because I was thinking "this is so dumb that I want to cry".  But then I started to cry again.  And then laughed again at the absurdity of it.  Oh I was so emotional.  And all over HAIR!  I don't think it was so much the hair that I was upset about, but the fact that my baby is growing up.  In a few weeks he'll be one.  ONE!  And this new "big boy" haircut is just bringing us one step closer to toddler hood. 

I did eventually gain my composure and finish the job.  Chris held him on his lap the whole time and was great at distracting him.  And how did Carter do?  I don't think he even knew what was going on.  He was so happy just playing with the toy cars on Daddy's lap, he hardly even noticed me slicing off his beautiful locks.  (Ok, I'm done now)  The result??
All in all there wasn't that much hair cut off.  And I do have to admit that he looks pretty handsome.  As the day went on I adjusted to it and have even come to like his new 'do.  I did still miss playing with it while we nursed, but I guess it's good that people won't mistake him for a girl anymore.  At least I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment