Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

No More Cheese

Wow, it's been a whole month since I've posted anything. I've wanted to, believe me, and I have several posts already written ... in my head. But given that Carter's new nickname is Captain Fussy Pants, most all of my time lately has been rocking, nursing and in general holding baby C.  I'm ok holding him.  Really.  In fact, I prefer to hold him rather than just set him in a chair for most of the day.  But even while holding, rocking, swaying, wearing, swaddling, bouncing, walking, and shushing him, he would still cry.  The only time he wasn't crying was when he was eating (all the time) and when he was sleeping (hardly ever).  Oh, the frustration.  And during this time his poops have been ... well ... let's just say less than lovely.  My purely breastfed baby is supposed to have sweet smelling diapers and his were anything but.  Something wasn't right.

So after a few weeks of this I took him to the chiropractor.  I figured I'd start there.  Dr. Marsh adjusted him and then suggested I start limiting my dairy intake.  I had thought that maybe my diet was contributing to the problem, but didn't really want to believe it.  I mean, do you know how hard it would be for this Wisconsin girl to stop eating cheese??  But it was worth a try.  So starting that day (which was exaclty two weeks ago now) I stopped consuming dairy.  No milk. No cheese.  No yogurt.  No sour cream.  No butter.  No cottage cheese.  No nothing.  (ok, I know that's not grammatically correct, but you'll have to forgive me ... I'm dairy deprived!)

I was hoping for an immediate improvement but we all know that didn't happen.  But Carter did seem to get a little better.  In fact he was on an every other day schedule.  One day crabby and fussy as usual.  The next, smiley and happy.  And then back to crabby.  This went on for a week.  Then this last week he's had more and more happy days.  And finally two weeks later, I believe we've solved the problem.  Carter has been an amazing napper!  He's smiling and cooing and it's fun to be around him again.  Oh and his poop??  (because you were all dying to know)  Yep, back to normal.  Which makes risning and washing diapers much more pleasant.

So I guess that makes giving up my favorite food group worth it.  And as an added bonus, I'm dropping the baby weight faster and saving money to boot.  Milk is expensive!  Now my my only problem is ... what do I make for supper????

1 comment:

  1. Ahh yes, I know how you feel. I delt with extreme diaper rash with Selah and I knew diet played a role but it was so hard to cut out wheat & dairy. Thankfully she wasn't fussy and I could control the rashes by constantly changing her. But I still would love to eat less gluten bc I notice MY attitude is not great after and my stomach is bothered... But what's a pregnant girl going to feed her cravings?? Oh by the way I did cut out milk last year and it wasn't that hard after a while... Even my husband cut out milk and he drank milk like a baby previously... Blessings to you and baby Carter :)

    ReplyDelete