Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Eat Baby Eat - part 2

On Monday I went to see the lactation consultant to follow-up from the doctor's visit and make sure feeding was going ok.  I arrived and she weighed Brooks.  I'm pretty sure most of the babies they see are much smaller because Brooks' lower half was hanging off the edge of the scale!  It was pretty funny.  She weighed him and he was over 16lbs.  (He only weighed in at 15lb 9oz at the doc's office)  So he's already put on some weight.  That's good.  Then I started feeding him while she tested the calories in my milk.  I don't think I spent more than 30 minutes there and when it was all said and done, we discovered that my milk is, well,  normal.  Normal amount of calories, normal amount of ounces at a feeding ... normal everything! 

What I figured is that Brooks was going through this crazy growth spurt the last few weeks.  He ate all the time and was sometimes fussy even after feedings.  So that's what made me fear that I wasn't producing enough or good enough milk for him.  But we're coming out of that growth spurt and everything is balancing out.  The lactition also gave me some good tips on working through growth spurts, incorporating solids foods and other good stuff.

Whew.  So that put my new mommy fears at bay.  I felt kinda silly afterwards knowing it was all probably in my head, but I'm so glad to have that reassurance that everything is ok.  It was also refreshing talking to someone who understands breastfeeding.  There's not a calculated amount of ounces at each feeding.  And sometimes baby needs to nurse more, sometimes less.  But it's all ok.  I just need to remember that my body knows exactly what my little guy needs and everything will be ok.  Yep, it will all be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment