Pages

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Birth Story of Brooks David Anderson - Part 1

Monday, June 15th

Brooks' birth story actually starts on Monday. It was one day past my due date and we were scheduled for an ultrasound that morning to check the fluid level around baby. The fluid was good, but the doctor noticed that the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck two times! He said it wasn't tight and the baby wasn't in immediate danger but said he wanted to see this baby delivered sooner than later ... in fact, in the next 48 hours. Then he said what I really didn't want to hear ... he wanted to induce me into labor, even as soon as that afternoon!

Immediately after that, we saw our midwife for a routine check on baby. I'm still trying to process all this news and emotions and attempting to not break down and cry in the waiting room. When we met with Lisa, she discussed our options of inducing. Again, I really didn't want to be induced due to all the medical interventions that would come with it. I wanted my body to do things on its own, the way it's supposed to happen ... and the way we wanted it to happen. She checked my cervix and said I was dilated to 2cm and fully effaced, which she was extremely pleased with; that would make an induction much easier.

While I was hooked up to the external fetal monitor, Chris and I discussed the situation. We always had the option of refusing the induction, but we didn't want to put our baby at risk either. After 30 minutes on the monitor, baby's heartbeat looked great! So with that, we decided to "postpone" the induction. We wanted to try some things at home to get labor going before moving forward with inducing. Our midwife was very supportive. So we made an appointment to come back Wednesday to do another heartbeat check, and went home.

That afternoon I went to the chiropractor and asked him to work his "pressure point" magic to get labor going. Then I met up with a friend at the mall and power walked for an hour! Contractions were coming more often during our walk, but they were still very mild and irregular. That evening, I went to the gym and worked out for 1/2 an hour. One way or another, I was going to get this baby out!

That evening Chris and I prayed ... I mean, really prayed. We prayed that my body would go into labor the next day and that we would get a good night's rest beforehand. We prayed that our little boy would be safe ... that the cord would come unwrapped from around his neck and that there would be no complications during labor or delivery. We knew if this was going to happen naturally, it would have to be God.

No comments:

Post a Comment