Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

The Potty Training Diaries: Day 5

2:30pm
Well, today is day 5 of our potty training endeavor.  After a really great day yesterday with no accidents I wasn't sure if I should expect the same today or prepare for some regression.  This morning went really well.  Brooks peed in the potty a few times and didn't have any accidents!  We're on the right track.

Right before nap time, he peed like usual.  Then he went into his room for nap.  I could hear him playing around in his room, which isn't too unusual for him to do before he falls asleep.  Then he comes knocking on his door saying he has to go potty.  Yeah!  I'm glad he's taking initiative to pee.  So into the bathroom we go.  No pee.  Then he starts playing with everything he can find in the bathroom.  Ah, so you don't have to pee, you just are putting off taking a nap.  You clever toddler, you.  So pants back on and back into his room.  I go to nurse Carter.

While I'm nursing I hear Brooks literally running laps in his room.  Good grief, what is that kid doing??  I finish feeding the baby and head into Brooks room to tell him to go to sleep.  And then I smell it.  That wretched awful smell.  Poop.  I tried not to be upset, but I really wasn't looking forward to cleaning this up.

"Uh oh.  You had an accident" I say.  Brooks wasn't as upset as I thought he would be.  But he certainly didn't like the feeling of poop in his underwear.  Hopefully this was a learning experience for him.  So I lay him down on the bathroom floor totally perplexed as to how I'm going to remove these poop-filled underwear without getting it everywhere.  And well, I never figured that out because as I took them off, poop smeared everywhere.  All over his butt, down his legs.  Oh gross!  And in the process he's kicking his legs because he just wants to get out of these poopy underwear, smearing poop even further.  On the floor, on my hand.  "Stop kicking!!"  I yell at him.

I manage to extract the underwear from his bottom and begin the multi-wipe process of cleaning him up.  I ask if he has to pee and he said no.  So I put him in clean underwear and pants and tucked him back into bed.  So there I am.  Just me and the poopy underwear.  Showdown.  Should I wash them in the sink?  Ew, no.  The bathtub?  That would probably clog up the drain.  And then I remember.  We have a diaper sprayer!  So I head downstairs, holding the offending undergarment at arms length and proceed to spray it off in the toilet.  I washed out the undies, threw them in the wash and scrubbed my hands with soap.  Done.  I know I'm naive by saying I hope I never have to do that again, it's true.  Here's hoping for a better afternoon.

4:00pm
Brooks woke up from his nap and thankfully he was dry.  He peed on the potty right away.  Then he said "I don't poop on Woody.  That makes him sad."  :)  Brooks sat down for a snack and had quite a bit to drink.  I'm not going to prompt him going potty this afternoon to see if he will tell me when he has to go.

5:45pm
Sure enough, Brooks came and told Daddy that he had to go potty.  Sat him down and he peed.  This is giving me hope after our poop disaster this afternoon.

10:00pm
The rest of our evening was pretty uneventful.  Well, except for our little "fire hose" incident.  From the very beginning we always taught Brooks to point his penis down while peeing.  (makes sense, right?)  He's always complied but tonight while peeing he pulled it out and well, you can imagine what happened.  He was so non-chalant about it as I started freaking out "Put it down! Put it down! Put it down!"  Fortunately the mess wasn't large and considering our poop incident from earlier in the day, it really wasn't even that gross.

We went out for a short trip to the grocery store with no problems.  We came home, Brooks made one more potty trip and we put him to bed.  Then about an hour later, he came knocking on his door saying he needed to pee, and he did!  I was so proud of him.  We was wearing a diaper so could have easily gone in that, but I'm encouraged that he knows the "gotta go" feeling and wants to pee in the potty.  What a big boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment