Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

moved

Well we did it.  We moved.  Chris and I had been looking for a new place to live for the past 6 months.  We discovered that living in an apartment wasn't the ideal place for us with a dog and a baby.  So after a long search, we finally found a little house to rent in Sioux Falls.  So we gathered boxes, packed them up and moved. 

And in all my naivity I thought "this won't be so bad.  We've done this plenty of times."  Which in fact we have.  This is the sixth place we've lived in our little over 5 years of marriage.  I'm really good at moving.  But to my suprise, this was a really hard move.  I mean really hard.  It was hard packing, trying to decide what to leave out until the very end and what could go in a box.  It was hard moving the stuff.  We acquired a lot of heavy furniture over the last few years.  And unpacking has been the worst.  Finding a new home for every cookie sheet, mixing bowl, bath towel... and where do you put your coats when there's isn't a front door closet?

Chris kept asking "Are you okay?"  And I said yes.  I really wanted everything to be ok.  But for part of me it wasn't ok.  I don't know if it's getting older or being a mama or something else ... but I want so bad just to be settled.  To have a place to call home .... permanently.  Where I can paint rooms and fix up the basement and mark my child's growth on the wall.  Where I can settle down for 15+ years like my parents did, and their parents did.  And probably the hardest part of this move was knowing that we will move again.  We're only renting this house, and although it is a wonderful blessing to our family, it is not the home I want to buy.  And so I'm sad knowing this will have to happen all over again.

(sigh) But it's getting better day by day.  The upstairs is mostly unpacked, leaving only the basement to be organized.  And we are allowed to paint, so once we're a bit more settled I'll tackle re-painting the kitchen (because that seafoam green just will not do).  Soon it will be "home" instead of just a house with our stuff in it.  I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment